15 February 2009

A bicycle for two

This Saturday Arcadia took us on a trip to the Aran Islands. They are about a 45 minute drive and 20 minute boat ride from Galway, out in the Atlantic Ocean. There's three islands and we ended up going to Inis Mor, which means big island. The island has a population of about 800 and Irish is the predominant language on the island. It was really cool to finally hear people speaking to each other in Irish fluently.

In order to get around the island and see everything we took bikes. Those of you who know me well know I cannot ride a bike -- go figure. I guess I was just never willing to learn, I was a pretty unadventurous child, not that riding a bike is all that adventurous in the first place ... So obviously I was a little worried about getting around, but luckily my friend Adam was kind enough to agree to ride on a tandem bike for me (aka a bike built for two). Adam is quiet the thrill seeker so needless to say he biked very, very fast. It was a little terrifying but also pretty fun. We road around for about two hours going up and down hills, playing fetch with a local dog named Scout and taking pictures of the beautiful scenery.

But then my friend Courtney went down a rocky hill a little bit too fast and fell off her bike. She got a pretty bad cut from the fall so I accompanied her to the doctors office (being the smallest since there wasn't much room in the doctors van, and since I'm not an avid bike rider). We spent the better of two hours at the doctor's while she got the cut stitched up.

I didn't get to see all of the island, but it was still a fun day. Ireland just keeps getting more beautiful and the weather has been grand for this time of year. Warmish (high 40s, low 50s) and very little rain. AND I just booked a flight to Portugal!!!!! A bunch of my friends were going and figured why the heck not? We're not quiet sure exactly where in Portugal we are going to explore but we'll fly into Faro on March 4th and stay there until the 7th. I'm really excited to finally travel outside the country, and Portugal should be both beautiful and WARM.

Making our way up a hill on the island

4 comments:

Unknown said...

the island looks lovely! Is Irish much different than Gaelic?

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said...

Irish is Gaelic. But Gaelic means Irish in English. So you don't say "I speak Gaelic" because that would be like saying "I speak espagnole."

Unknown said...

Cool, good to know.