20 February 2009

Does PSU hold a candle to RAG Week?

Penn State is a big party school. It's a fact. You can go there and not drink a drop of alcohol for four years, but you can also spend every weekend there drinking, too. I mean, we are the No. 3 party school in the nation after all.

However, this week at NUI Galway is RAG Week. You may be wondering, "what is RAG Week?" Well, each year during RAG Week the Galway Students' Union organizes events to raise money for four selected charities. During RAG Week this year the charities include: CD's Helping Hands, Galway Rape Crisis Centre, L'Arche and the Belarussian Orphanage Project. It's sort of like Thon ... but no dancing or Greeks. And it's definitely not for the kids, because although RAG Week is supposed to be about charities, it's more about partying.

I'm a bit skeptical.

I've been at PSU for two and a half years and have witnessed my fair share of crazy partying, so how bad can RAG Week be? Apparently, pretty bad. It's just a week of drunken debauchery, at least according to everyone I've talked to about it. It seems like everything I've heard is pretty much truth about this week, but I'll believe it when I see it. Sunday and Monday are supposed to be the biggest days because by the end of the week everyone is in a hungover stupor.

Since the boys downstairs are basically the Irish version of Animal House, for them RAG Week has already commenced. They decided to start partying last night, probably after I passed out at 11 p.m., because I heard music playing around 1ish when my roommate came back, then at 5:30 a.m. when she opened our bedroom door to go to the bathroom and the party was still going on when I got up at 7:30 a.m. this morning for class. Wow.

I don't think I'll be getting much sleep this week. As they say: if you can't beat them, might as well join them.

No comments: