22 March 2009

Ireland is the 6 Nations Champion!

Ireland won!! Woooooo!

Last night was the final game of the 6 Nations Championship. The 6 Nations includes the rugby teams from Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England, France and Italy. Tonight was the last game to determine the winner: Ireland v Wales. Ireland was No. 1 and Wales No. 2 before the start of the game. And it was an exciting, and nerve wracking, 80 minutes. In the last few minutes of the game Wales had 15 points and Ireland had 17, but Wales was close enough to the goal to kick - but they missed! And Ireland won the title for the first time in 61 years! I watched the game with my roommate, Emear, and we were both on the couch wriggling in anticipation before the kick was made - and then erupted into cheers when it fell short. It was a great game to watch.

I've never been big into sports, well until I attended my first football game at PSU. Then I saw my first professional ice hockey game spring of freshman year. This summer/fall I became a fan of the Phillies. And now I'm a big rugby fan. Sometimes you just need a team you care about to root for, and then you're hooked. And I got to see something that will probably go down in Irish history last night - brilliant!

No comments: