29 March 2009

I'll be taking a whirl down to Salthill prom with a Galway girl

Nothing really thrilling to write about for this weekend, but it was still pretty nice. And the weirdest thing is that tomorrow begins our last week of class, and then Friday I'm on my way to Paris!!

This Friday since I didn't have classes I took a walk into town just to get some fresh air and exercise. But since the weather was behaving (or so I thought) I decided to take a walk through the Claddagh ... and kept going. The Claddagh is basically part of Galway city that used to be a small fishing village. It is now sort of a park with benches and walking/biking paths. It is right on the edge of Galway bay. So I decided to follow the coast and find Salthill. Some of my friends went out to Salthill the week of St. Patrick's Day, aka the week of actual sunny days.

Salthill is a 'suburb' of Galway, although not quite like the suburbs of NJ. I sadly did not bring my camera so I have no pictures, but it's a really cute town. I don't know if you'd even call it a town because it looks like it is still part of Galway city. But anyway, it's along the coast making it a sort of beach resort. Although, the temperature doesn't get above 65 very often here so I couldn't imagine laying out on the beach. It was about a 20 minute walk from the Claddagh right alongside the bay and the beach. I really enjoyed it. The town has lots of shops and restaurants in it, and there's even some sort of amusement center there. (Think Funplex). I got rained on and wind blown during the walk, which ended up lasting four hours, but am definitely going to head back to Salthill soon. Hopefully on a day that's a little warmer and sunnier -- and with my camera.

Other than that little adventure I've just been working on the three essays I have due at the end of the week. And planning for spring break!! Andy didn't seem really to have much of a plan yet for Paris, so I took it upon myself to do some planning. So far on the itinerary is the Louvre, Champs Elysee's, Eiffel Tower during the day and at night(of course), Notre Dame, Versailles and then we're going to try to take a day trip to the beaches of Normandy. And also, coffee or exploring with a friend from high school, Sam!! As far as Madrid and Barcelona go, I think we will just play it by ear and explore. I'm excited to just see some of Spain, but there's no place in particular I want to go. I simply cannot wait!! Less than a week!

(Also, daylight savings time started today so I am once again 5 hours ahead. It's just turning dark at 8:30, weird.)

And another picture of the Claddagh from a month or so ago. It's probably my favorite place in Galway.

No comments: