18 January 2009

Blustry Day and Cleaning Spree

This weekend was a lot of fun -- but very, very windy. Friday night I went to my friends' apartment in town and they made the group of us dinner. We then went to a pub in the Western (yeah the hotel) to see a friend of the boy who lives downstair play a session with some older gentlemen. It was a very calm quiet pub and the music was really good. Especially the little old man who played the tin whistle. The boy who lives below me, Colin, is here for the whole year so he'll be our go to guide for pubs and things to do. He's also very friendly with the Irish boys across the hall who live directly below my apartment. Both doors on that floor are always open and they just go in and out of each other's apartments as they please.

But before I get to that -- one thing that no one has yet to dispute is how horribly MESSY Irish students are. My apartment wasn't too bad, but nothing really seemed clean. I won't go into the gross details, but I just can't stand the kitchen to be dirty. I don't mind clutter or mess (my parents can attest to that) but I can't stand dirt and grime in a place where I have to eat and cook. So I spent two and a half hours scrubbing the kitchen, organizing my room and cleaning the bathroom. Now I don't have to wash every utensil before use and the apartment smells good.

On Saturday night the boys on floor two came out with us. Their names are Pauric and Keiran and their course is science (course = major) They are really nice boys and a lot of craic ... and they also seem to like to have a lot of craic because they had a party last Sunday and it was really loud. But now I can go to the parties instead of hearing it through my bedroom floor.

We went to a pub, which was more like a club, called the Living Room. It was pretty crowded and looked like an American bar so we left and went to the Quays - which is definitely my favprite pub here. It's huge so we can always find a table, the DJs are good and it more often than not has live music. And a lot of live trad (traditional Irish) music, too.
The Quays!


After the pub the boys showed me their apartments and ... GROSS. So I had to show them a clean apartment that smelled good and didn't have days old food on the table and counters. They were very impressed and didn't want to leave -- and subsequently stayed talking to my roommate and I until about 5:30 a.m. We just listened to lots of music loudly and talked. I'm really glad they live so close and I have a feeling I'm going to have lots of good times with those boys. Now I just need to work on understanding their accents, which can be a bit difficult at times.

No comments: