09 January 2009

Class

We had more orientations today, and I'm getting a little tired of them. But these ones were more fun because they were about our classes! Because I'm mostly taking elective classes I can pretty much choose any ones I want. There's a lot of really neat classes and the system for registering them and the way the classes are run is so different here.

For the first two weeks of class there's a 'shop around' period where we can go to any class we want, check it out and then if we like it register for it in about 2 weeks. Lecture classes are large so anyone can join those, there's no cap on them. But the seminars are the smaller classes so to register to get into those you have to go to the department early on a set day and sign up for the class. Some people get there at 4 am to wait in line to register!! There's one seminar I really want to take, but I won't be getting up quite that early. It's a children's literature class -- they study books like Hole and Stardust! It looks like a really interesting class so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Most of the others are lectures so I won't have a problem getting into those. Some I may take include, a class about castles, women in medieval times, a class on modernism and postmodernism, an Irish cultures class, and Celtic mythology and folklore.

The classes are also run a little differently. There's not as much emphasis on class participation or attendance. In lectures the teachers pretty much just lecture the whole time and the students diligently take notes. And there's also not many grades about 70% of every class is based on one exam or essay. There may be another essay or mid-term for the class, but not for all of them. Another weird thing is how little it seems students are in class. We have classes until the beginning of April. Then it's a break for Easter and many teachers cancel classes at the beginning of the week because students like to go home, then we have a two week spring break, a week to study for finals and then about a month of finals. It's weird, but I think I'm going to like it.

Pubs

We went out to the pubs last night and it was really a lot of fun. The first one was called McSwiggens (sweet name!) since the students are still on break the town is pretty quiet right now. There's about 15 thousand at NUIG and another 7,000 at another school close by - it's a big college town. So there weren't many people at the first bar but it was quiet and had a fire going and was definitely what I imagined an Irish pub would look like. At the pub my friend Adrienne and I got Kopparberg pear cider. It was delicious. After a pint there we went ot the Kings Head, which is supposed to be one of the best pubs in Galway -- and I would agree. It was really cool with lots of floors and a live band EVERY night! The band last night was great. They played a lot of late 80s and 90s music. The Irish are really into 90s American music. American music plays everywhere -- which is a little disapointing, but it's pretty good American music I must admit. The band also played one of my favorite new songs, 'Galway Girl.' It made me very happy to hear it played and all the Irish people in the bar sang along because it's a very popular song over here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrwqLhhsMEU&feature=related). The pubs really are the hub of social life in Galway. People of all ages just go there to hang out, listening to music and socialize with family and friends.

The pubs close around midnight and then a lot of younger people go out to the clubs which are open later. On the main street here - shop street - people stand outside and stamp your hand so you can get into the clubs for free. It's really cool! And one of the clubs we checked out before going home had the Arcade Fire playing, which basically made my night.

Tonight is my homestay in the town of Tuam. I'm really excited for that! I get to stay with an Irish family from tonight until Sunday afternoon. I know a little about the family - the mother is a caterer, the husband a driver, they have two daughters who are 10 and 15 and a dog named Fluffy. I'm not bringing my laptop with me, but I'll post about the weekend when I get back on Sunday.

Keep reading!

~Katie

2 comments:

Drifter B said...

If I lived in Ireland I would want to be called McSwiggins...

Bill

Kacie said...

I'm not sure if it's an Irish sin, but Guinness is pretty tasty with some blackberry liqueur.

Have fun!!! I'll be reading, waiting for you to finish a Guinness!

Kacie