07 January 2009

The Cultural Capital of Ireland

I'm finally all moved in and unpacked in Galway. I'll try to update as often as possible now that I have constant and secure internet, because if I don't post often my entries are going to be far too long.

On Tuesday we had to go to a lot of meetings and then went to see a play at the Dublin Theatre. It was a comedy called The Playboy of the Western World - a modernized version. It was funny at times and also kind of weird. But I enjoyed really hearing the Irish accents. After the play we went to a bar right near the hostel called The Bachelor. I got a Smithwick's which is actually really good and easy to drink. Guinness was a little much for me -- but I will finish a pint before I leave! Everyone is really friendly at the pubs. They like to chat with you and alway ask you where in America you're from and what university you study at. They just have a good time.

Today we got into Galway around 12:30. It's about a three and a half hour drive away from here. I may go back for St. Patty's day, be we'll see. The apartments are pretty nice. I'm rooming with another girl going through the Arcadia program, but there's three rooms in the apartment so we could have up to 4 other roommates -- presumably Irish girls by their stuff in the apartment. Hopefully they're nice ... it could be a great chance to really learn about the culture.

The city is soooooo cute! It's a lot less Americanized than Dublin and has cobbled stoned side walks that have so many different stores and pubs. Shop street is the main one. It's a very hort street but the pubs and shops are all crammed really close to one another -- it's great. I haven't seen too much of it yet, but I can't wait to explore. We also have Irish boys living across the hall -- I can't wait to meet them!

Some interesting things/differences:

** The Irish are very into the environment, so they try to conserve energy any way they can, and money too. They never turn the heat up too high or leave it on (the apartment is currenly freezing!) They try not to use plastic bags and actually charge you for them.
** I have to get used to a few things: Military time, metric system, roundabouts and cars being on the opposite side of the road.
** They usually attend school for 3 yrs and like most European countries it's free.
** You don't have to tip ... pretty much ever. They get paid $1o or so an hour so it's not necessary to tip.
** You don't say restroom or bathroom, it's the toilet
** Never say can I have a ride, it's can I have a lift. A lift is also an elevator.
** Craic (pronounced crack) means fun. Was a little weird when an Irish person says, 'are you having craic?'


~ Katie

5 comments:

Drifter B said...

When someone asks me about "crack" in Brooklyn I run away....

Bill

Drifter B said...

Also, FINISH YER GUINNESS!

Bill again

Stacey said...

It sounds like you're getting the full cultural experience -- so cool! It's really cool that you went to the service at St. Patrick's - it's weird to think that they've been having services in that church since waaay before America was even founded. And, that "crack" thing is hilarious!

Perhaps I can set up a Skype account and we can chat before I leave just to try it out? When are you around? Didn't you say between 3 and 4 EST? Lemme know.

:o)

Unknown said...

HI! It sounds fun and new and exciting. Hope it is not too cold! Buy some Irish sweaters!
Your mom would love the shops I bet.

Kathy

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you're having a great time! It sounds absolutely amazing. Also, I want to hear more about the irish boys across the hall. eeeeee!!!!