14 January 2009

When it rains, it pours

The uncharacteristically nice weather Galway has been having the last few days has finally come to an end. It's currently pouring out and has been since I woke up at 7 this morning (it's now 10:40) and it doesn't look like it's going to stop any time soon. The 15 minute walk to campus was not very pleasant. My coat worked well to keep the top half of my body dry but my jeans got soaked and so did my face and even hair, despite wearing a hood.



I saw no one with an umbrella today on campus and realized why -- they're totally useless. The wind coming of the Corrib River is quite vicious. It seems to hate umbrellas and tries to pull them from your grasp or turn them inside out. I saw a few people (Americans, of course) struggling to keep control of theirs. But I guess the weather is something I'll have to just get used to, and hope that it doesn't rain like this everyday.



Here's a picture from a few days ago of the walk I take to and from school. (shot walking in the direction of my apartment) The body of water is the Corrib River -- it runs straight through the city of Galway.


2 comments:

Terry_Casey said...

I would feel bad for your walk in the rain...


...but you're in Ireland, and I'm in a windowless basement office.

Have some crack, erm, craic(?) for me.

Unknown said...

Maybe you could be the trendy foreigner to introduce rubber pants as a chic fashion statement?