04 January 2009

Finally here!

Hey everyone!

So I'm finally in Ireland typing this post from my hostel in Dublin. The hostel is actually pretty nice and right at the center of everything. The city is amazing, and it's still decorated for the holidays which is really cool. There's one street where there are wreaths hanging down along the middle of the street, dozens of them all lit up in blue lights.

All of the students here are really nice and we are getting along really well. I'm a little bit jet lagged but otherwise the trip here went pretty smoothly. Dublin is actually an amazingly clean city with shops and lots of cafes, restaurants and of course pubs.

After getting in this morning we had lunch at a nice restaurant with all the students and then some of those I sat with at the table (4 of whom are PSU students) decided to explore some of the city. We went to check out the Castle of Dublin -- which isn't anything too spectacular but was still neat. We wandered down the cobblestone roads looking at all the shops and pubs and then we went to Trinity College Dublin. The college was really nice and all the buildings are made of a light grey stone. (pics to come). We also saw a copy of the Book of Kells (for some reason the real thing isn't on display right now) which was really interesting and told all about how the book was written and the history behind it. We also saw the library there which was amazing. It looked like the library in the Harry Potter movies with a high dark wood ceiling and book cases reaching on forever with large ladders attached.

When we went to dinner tonight I had my first sip of Guinness -- and it was pretty good! But because of jet lag I'll wait a bit before I get my own pint, we have a long day tomorrow. So I'm off to bed, but I'll be sure to update again soon!

Much love,
Katie

P.S. Irish accents are amazing!!

Our hostel near Temple Bar in Dublin. It's the bright blue one!

No comments: